He was a footballer made for superlatives: 700 goals in roughly 900 games for 1. FC Nürnberg, two League Championships, one German Cup, and a World Cup with Germany in 1954 – Max Morlock: 1. FCN’s greatest ever player.
Reason enough, surely, to honour the Club’s great son with a feature to honour him. The Max Morlock statue was unveiled on August 23rd 2008, at the first home game of the season of the 1. FC Nürnberg’s junior team, against Darmstadt 98 in the regional league.
Fan clubs and individual supporters saved for over a year to raise money for construction of the statue. Just as in 1961, Max Morlock will now and forever raise the German Championship trophy with pride in front of the stadium’s north stand.
The statue itself was produced by the sculptor Edgar Hahn.
1. FC Nürnberg would like to extend its special thanks to all those who donated to the erection of the Max Morlock statue.